2012 National Hand Dance Association List of Achievements
- NHDA received a $7,000 DC Commission on the Arts East of the River Grant to conduct two youth hand dance workshops and one senior hand dance workshops.
- NHDA has been selected for a second year as a charitable organization by the United Way of the National Capitol Area (Designation #9843) and the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) (Designation #55407).
- NHDA was invited to the Stax Music Academy in Memphis, Tennessee to conduct a youth hand dance workshop for the students of the Stax Music Academy and the Soulsville Charter School. April 2012
- NHDA named the NHDA Classic Hand Dancers as an honorary affiliate. The members include Maxine Grant, Navada Warren, Adrienne Poteat, Melvin Copeland, Addie Robinson, Sparky Green, Lee Ware, Priscilla Wiley, Lawrence Bradford, Greg Steele, Alwanda Higgins and Earl Calloway. The NHDA Classic Hand Dancers’ mission is to preserve the traditional and classic form of hand dance from the 1950s and 60s.
- WHUR 98.6 FM invited NHDA and the Metropolitan Steppers to participate in the WHUR All White Hand Dance/Stepper’s Cruise. August, 2012
- NHDA was invited for the second year to present at the Arena Stage Southwest Arts Festival in Washington, DC. There was a full day of Hand Dance to include demonstrations, presentations, basic lessons for youth and adults, and plenty of hand dancing. The DC Hand Dance Club joined with NHDA for this year’s event. September 29, 2012
2011 National Hand Dance Association List of Achievements
- NHDA receives a $3,250 Major Grant from the Humanities Council of Washington, DC to sponsor a screening of the documentary “Hand Dance: A Capitol Swing”, followed by a panel discussion on the history and evolution of Hand Dance from the Lindy Hop to Hand Dance, and conclude with a Hand Dance party. February, 2011 The community outreach program is free and open to the public. Saturday, April 30, 2011 at the Chateau Hand Dance club in Washington, DC.
- NHDA has been selected as a Member of the United Way Campaign of the National Capitol Area. NHDA will campaign for Federal and private sector employee donations to raise funds for programs and projects related to Hand Dance which benefits the community at-large. February, 2011
- NHDA participated in the 2011 National Cherry Blossom Festival on the National Mall in Washington, DC on March 31, 2011. The is the sixth year that NHDA has presented Hand Dance to a world audience.
- NHDA has been selected to present Hand Dance at the Arena Stage during the Arena Stage “Homecoming Open House” celebrating its new theater during the Southwest Arts Festival on September 24, 2011